Sunday 16 December 2012

Journal of the Tormented

This is day six. I am completely tired and dehydrated. I can't take this anymore. No I cannot!
The creature shows no mercy. It wants its property back. I want to die! I just want all this to end!

My name is Emeka Peters, and I am writing this in case I do not survive. The situation I've gotten myself into is a dire one. Here is how it all started.

I have been living in abject poverty since my childhood. I am now married with three children; children who don't got to school because of their parents' financial privation. I work as a local blacksmith, and of course, my wages do not sustain me and my family.

Last week, an incident occurred that caused a lot of pressure to be put on me. Both my parents died the same day. I, as their only child, have to pay for the burial arrangements and ceremonies. According to tradition, I had to bury my parents within 10 days after their death or else their spirits will not past on and rest.
I didn't know what to do. There was no way for me to get the money for the burial. I was in a deep quandary.

It was during my cogitation that I one day decided to attempt the unthinkable. I decided to steal the mat of an egbere. An egbere is a creature that lives in the forest of Amaki. It is similar to the Leprechaun which I hear the white men talk so often about. The Egbere holds a lantern and a mat. The mat if stolen, will make the possessor extremely rich. But there was an obstacle. After taking the mat, the possessor has to endure seven days of incessant psychological torture from the creature.
This was what got me to rethink. Is this not the means by which Chief Ola got his riches? Or so they say.

Yes! I will do it. Is not just seven days? I have endured thirty-nine years of hardship. What is a mere seven days?


I wasted no time. Grabbing my machete, I went straight onto the path that leads to the forest. The sun was setting by then, and I planned to get a mat before nightfall (for this is when the Egberes awaken from their slumber).
I spoke to no one along the way. I looked at no one. I reached the entrance of the forest, looked up and saw that nightfall was approaching quickly. In the forest, it was not difficult to find an Egbere's cave. There were a lot of them in the forest because there was no other forest for kilometers away.
Stealing their mats is no problem. Enduring their torture is.

I have just a few days left. No! it's a few hours. The creature is messing with my head. I can't think straight. Yes yes yes, it's three days that remain.
What's that I hear? Is that my daughter crying behind the door? But that is impossible, my daughter is home. Or could she have found out I was here? How?
"Tina!" "Tina is that you?"
"Daddy, let me in"
No no no, that cannot be her. But what if it is her? The creature may harm her. I have to let her in!
"I'm coming, stop yelling!"
"Daddy I am scared"
"I'm coming"
I pushed all the blockades away from the door. I unfastened the latch and drew the door open...
   

No comments:

Post a Comment