Friday 1 March 2013

The Adventures of Maynard Ray

A crude excerpt from the novel I'm writing
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"That is impossible."
"Dear boy, from what this world has revealed to me I no more think of the possibility of impossibility existing."

"Surely you do not affirm that folklore and fairytales have elements of truth in them?"
"Most are true."

"By Jove, you're mad!"
"If knowledge is madness then I refuse therapy."

"Professor Maynard I implore you to reconsider your statement."
"Why reconsider something rigid?"

"Perhaps you could make it more plausible."
"Plausibility is a subject which contexts itself in mere fabrications; my statement is no fabrication."

"You do realize that you would definitely face the gallows if this paper containing your statement is given to the court."
"I would rather die than live on a testimony without veracity."

"Professor Maynard please consider your reputaion in the scientific academia, consider the indelible dent which your name will suffer for many years."
"What is social reputaion compared to my vast knowledge of the unknown?"

"Consider your family."
"They can travel out of the country."

"Consider your professional achievements."
"They are but dust compared to my achievements in the realm of the supernatural."

"Very well Mr Maynard, you have obstinately made your decision, yet I will do well to intercede for you as best as I can."
"Boy, do what you may but I know that my death awaits me."

Inspector Charles took one last gaze at the old man. He never imagined that Professor Maynard Ray - a man who broke grounds in the scientific world, the owner of hundreds of patents - would be in this state.

No comments:

Post a Comment